- A non-psychoactive compound found in the cannabis sativa plant. CBD is an abbreviation for cannabidiol.
- All mammals, humans, horses, pets (dogs and cats) naturally produce CBD.
- All mammals have an endocannabinoid system (ECS) which requires CBD to operate efficiently.
- ECS is involved in a variety of physiological processes, including regulating pain, inflammation, cardiovascular and digestive health, cognitive and memory functions, immunity and more.
- With diseases, injuries and age, the body doesn’t produce enough cannabinoids (CBD) to keep the ECS running efficiently. This endocannabinoid deficiency can lead to even more health issues and ailments.
- CBD and other related plant cannabinoids are only found in the Cannabis sativa plant besides what a body can naturally produce.
What was all the fuss about?
- Cannabis sativa or Hemp has been used medicinally for more than 3,000 years. Before 1942, the US Pharmacopeia listed cannabis as the primary medicine to treat more than 100 separate illnesses, diseases and ailments.
- In 1951, cannabis was added to the list of narcotic drugs. In 1970, is was classified as a Schedule I Drug.
- Some of our Historians believe illegalizing cannabis was to remove it as competition for new drugs being synthesized by pharmaceutical companies.
- In 2004, the Federal Court Ruling (Nos. 03-71366, 03-71693), states that every US citizen can legally use CBD extracted from industrial hemp.
- Cannabis sativa (Industrial Hemp) is naturally bred to contain less than .03% THC. THC is the compound in the cannabis plant that produces the “high” or euphoria. Cannabis with higher concentrates of THC is used only by the medical community in specific ailments and requires a medical marijuana license. It is not legal in all states currently.
What we know now!
- CBD is non-psychoactive.
- Researchers have uncovered numerous health related benefits tied directly to the use of CBD, including analgesic (pain reduction), anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, and anti-anxiety, to name a few.
- The American Medical Association (AMA) testified against the Marijuana Tax Act because cannabis was known to have so many medical uses with no observed side effects.
- CBD is extracted from the cannabis sativa plant in a variety of ways. It can be an oil or further processes can be done to make it water soluble.